The course is interactive and uses web 2.0 in its delivery. In addition the course also has assignments, project and final online test for qualification for certification. The program undergoes continuous reviews to remain relevant in the ever changing technological world. Certification on completion of the course is in the following areas:
- Subject Mastery
- Pedagogical Skills
- Assessment Techniques
- Management of teachers professional documents
- Online learning methods and technologies
- Virtual Collaborations
- Virtual communication technology tools
The benefits of the course are as follows;
- Those who have graduated from the course have taken in lead as trainers in the ICT integration in Education for the laptop project while others have progressed to acquire higher qualifications from other institutions.
- The country has greatly benefitted in that it has saved a lot of resources both financially (travelling and accommodation costs, license cost) and man hours (personnel needed for the training).
- Flexibility in learning as the participants study during their own free time and from anywhere.
- The interactive sessions such as chats and discussions address challenging areas as well as post discussions on the system in various areas. The challenges are instantly addressed.
- Complete attitude transformation from resistance to adopt ICT integration to advocacy for the same among the teaching fraternity
- Online tutoring creates a virtual environment where the curriculum personnel at the Institute interact with the teachers and education officers in the field enabling exchange of information where issues are discussed.
- The system allows for effective monitoring of the programmes as well as the curriculum.
- Tests and examinations are also administered through the system hence evaluating the users’ acquisition of the required competencies.
- Improved communication between the implementers and the managers of education as well as the developers
- Ownership of the curriculum since all participate in its implementation thus minimizing blame games
- Participants who have gone through the program have earned themselves promotions at work and even new jobs. Others have been called upon as trainers especially now that the government is preparing for the laptop project.